How we collect personal information
When we refer to “personal information”, we mean information from which your identity is reasonably apparent. This information may include information or an opinion about you, whether true or not. Where reasonable and practical, we will collect your personal information directly from you.
We collect personal information from you through our Customer Service Centre, through our credit representatives (brokers) and financial advisers, when interviewing you, from our website and from competitions and promotions to which you choose to respond.
The personal information we collect
The type of personal information we collect may include your name, date of birth, address, account details, occupation and any other information we may need to identify you. If you are applying for a loan or seeking financial planning advice, we may also collect the number and ages of your dependants, the length of time you have lived at your current address, your employment details, proof of income and expenses and other financial details. If you apply for an insurance product through us, we may also collect your health information. We will collect health information from you only with your consent.
If you are seeking financial planning advice from us, we will make it clear what information we need to obtain from you for the purpose of providing financial planning advice, as well as any personal information that may be provided by you at your option. You may choose not to provide any optional information requested by us, however this may restrict our ability to assist you.
If you give us personal information about another person, you represent that you are authorised to do so and agree that you have obtained consent from that person for us to use and disclose their personal information. They may access any personal information we hold about them.
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information to assist us to:
1. Assess your application for credit, manage that credit application and any future applications for credit;
2. Make recommendations to you in respect of risk insurance products, such as insurance for your life, permanent disability, income replacement and critical illness cover;
3. Make recommendations to you in respect of investment products and services, such as managed investment funds and investor directed portfolio services (IDPS);
4. Make recommendations to you in respect of superannuation products, including self managed superannuation funds (SMSF);
5. Make recommendations to you in respect of investments in direct equities and stock exchange listed products;
6. Communicate information about our products and services to you;
7. Meet our internal administrative, marketing, planning and research requirements;
We will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify your personal information when your personal information is no longer required for one of the above purposes.
Disclosure of your personal information to others
Where possible, we will inform you, at or before the time of collecting your personal information, of the types of organisations to which we intend to disclose your personal information. We may disclose your personal information to our related bodies corporate, credit representatives, financial advisers, panel of approved lenders or financial product suppliers and advisers, service providers and agents that we use in the ordinary operation of our business. For example, if you provide us with personal information to assist us find you a suitable loan, we may collect personal information about you and disclose it to one of our credit representatives or a member of our lender panel.
We will disclose your personal information only for the purpose/s for which we collected the personal information. Prior to disclosing any of your personal information to another person or organisation, we will take all reasonable steps to satisfy ourselves that:
- The person or organisation has a commitment to protecting your personal information at least equal to our commitment; or, if required,
- You have consented to us doing